Healthy Layered Mexican Dip
Greek yogurt is much better for you than sour cream, almost double in protein, it also has healthy live bacteria that our body's needs and with the thick texture it holds up well when mixed into dips.
Avocado will add fat to the dish, but remember its GOOD fat!
Avocados have a nutrient profile that includes nearly 20 vitamins and minerals; including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B, and folic acid; beneficial plant compounds, including 81 micrograms of the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin per serving; and "good" fats that help the body better absorb fat-soluble nutrients from foods they are eaten with, there are so many reasons to enjoy avocados.
Just select the rest of your topping carefully, such as the cheese and go easy on the black olives. Gather theses ingrediants:
- 1 can fat free refried black beans
- 1½ cup 0% Fat Greek Yogurt
- ½ package taco seasoning (look for low salt)
- 2 diced tomatoes
- Large handful shredded lettuce
- 4 scallions sliced
- 1 large avocado diced
- 1 cup low fat/fat free cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
Optional:diced cilantro, fresh or canned jalapenos, sliced black olives, salsa
In a large shallow glass dish spread refried black beans on bottom. Mix together greek yogurt and taco seasoning, spread on top of beans. Then layer remaining ingredients on top of each other.
Enjoy with baked blue corn tortilla chips, sliced cucumber or jicama spears.
Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
Start off with these ingrediants:
- ½ cup 0% fat greek yogurt
- 1 block fat free (or low fat) cream cheese (softened, it’ll make your life easier trying to mix it)
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze the hell outta it, don’t want green watery mess)
- 2 TBS crushed garlic ( buy the jarred stuff in the veggie aisle, time saver)
- 13.75 oz jar artichoke hearts in water (drained and chopped)
- Healthy dose of hot sauce (I use sriracha of course)
- Ground pepper
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheese, your choice…I would use monterey jack, Colby, mozzarella or shredded parmesan
Mix together yogurt, cream cheese and sour cream. Then add in the remaining ingredients, drained spinach, chopped artichoke, hot sauce, pepper and your cheese. If mixture look really thick, add a spoonful more of greek yogurt or a splash of milk.
Put in dish and bake at 350 for 20mins or until hot. Great with pita chips or pretzel chips. Even better for you with carrot, celery, red pepper or zucchini spears.